Re: [SLUG] xinetd

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 19:44:21 EDT

Doug Thanks

Final objective is to set up a 2 computer network.
Since I had no idea of how to do this I searched for HOWTO on this. I found 2
and only 2 that pertain to a newbie setting up a network with Rh both for RH
6.1.

RH linux 6.x as an Internet Gateway for a Home Network by Paul Ramsey
Samba Server by Ying Zhang
and the setup notes from the Samba project
Samba Project Documentation

Well from Ramsey I was able to setup a network. I can ping the Linux box from
the Win 98 and vice verse. One big problem here that stumped me for days was
that I had either LAN or Internet but not both. Connection to the internet is
by modem. Partial solution to this problem is not to have LAN initiate on
boot but to initiate it by user action after boot.

Next I tried to set up Samba by editing configuration files. This may be
possible but further reading suggest that I must have inetd or xinted. This
was confusing because Zhang referees to inetd not xinted so there were
several post over that.

After sorting out that RH 7.1 uses xinted I checked to find out it it was
there and running. The answer to this was yes on both accounts.

Now as far as I can tell I am down to the portion of where Zhang starts to
configure Samba by SWAT. At this point he says that to use your favorite
browser go to http://192.168.1.1:901 and if all goes well you should see a
box pop up asking for a username and password. When I attempt this I get a
message saying that the browser is unable to connect to 901.168.1.1 at port
901.

Now since I assume he knows more than I do - he did make at least one network
work to write his nice publication - I am assuming that I have something
configured incorrectly.

For more details on my exact setup go to:
 http://home.earthlink.net/~sotl166360

For Zhang's procedure:
http://dcfonline.sfu.ca/ying/linux/samba/

For Ramsey's procedure see:
http://www.coastnet.com/~pramsey/linux/homenet.html

Thanks
Frank

PS: I am not cutting this because configuration files fo;;ow.