[SLUG] Under $600. laptops & Linux

From: edoc (kd4e@arrl.net)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 18:43:28 EDT

I understand that most Linux distros are struggling to provide full laptop
compatibility for the more common models.

I need to acquire a second laptop, refurbished or used, and have been
exploring the following sites:

http://used-pcs.com/notebook.shtml
http://www.mcoutlet.com/refurbished-laptop-computers.html
http://www.getadeal.com/
http://www.findlaptops.com/
http://store6.yimg.com/I/laptop-kings_1651_422415
http://www.svconn.com/desktops.html
http://www.recycledgoods.com/used_laptops.htm
http://stores.bizblast.com/servlet/BizBlastFilter?store=thelaptopguy&file=no
frame.html
http://www.laptopcloseout.com/top_home_us.htm
http://www.usedlaptopcomputers.com/
http://www.notebookmall.com/product.htm
http://used-pcs.com/notebook.shtml

Question: Anyone know of any under-$600. refurb/used laptop that is
completely
compatible with Linux?

I really don't have several days or weeks to spend trying to troubleshoot
goofed-up
sound card drivers, old internal modems that either don't work (if 56k) or
cannot be
toggled off to permit a pcmcia modem (or DSL nic) to function,
proprietary-hacked
pcmcia setups, etc.

Thanks! Doc