Re: [SLUG] How come no OEM dual-boot machines?

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 19:27:59 EDT

This is a good article that gets right at the core of how deeply
entrenched this Monopoly is. Too bad for BeOS but Linux can't expect
any better fate in the desktop OEM arena unless OEM's find it worthwhile
to fight the MS license en masse. Will offering dual-boot machines
provide a new revenue stream from additional sales or reduce cost due to
competition? Probably not enough to warrant a full-scale attack on
their MS OEM license. Again, it may come down to consumer complaint or
the work of organizations like EFF to get any push for legislation that
would release the vice-grip that the MS OEM license has over a good,
competitive environment. But don't expect anything from our legislature
if the courts won't even begin to address the issue. Too bad the
current legal hassle facing MS became so narrowly focused.

-Robert