Re: [SLUG] Adding slave HD

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 22:13:23 EDT

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 07:10:59PM -0400, SOTL wrote:

> I have just added brand new unformed 2ND HD to my system.
>
> I reconfigured the jumpers on the HDs for master slave.
>
> I have 2 master HD with only one being in the system at a time. They are in
> interchangeable drawers.
>
> The second master is also new and unformed.
>
> Plans is to put current operating system on one and test or update system on
> the second.
>
> Questions:
>
> If I configure both new HD by installing a new system on the master and using
> the complete slave HD as a data drive what do I have to do to make the
> original master HD see the new slave HD?

Fdisk and mount it, as in:

fdisk /dev/hdb

(assuming it's the second hard drive on the first IDE controller), and
follow the instructions. This means you'll need to specify its type (82
or 83, I believe; see the list in fdisk), and specify its partitions
(probably one big primary).

Then mount it, via:

mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb /mnt/datadrive

where /mnt/datadrive is a directory you've created for mounting this
drive.

If you intend to mount this drive at boot time, you'll need to edit your
/etc/fstab file to include this drive. Its entry in this file will be
similar to the one for /dev/hda.

Paul