Re: [SLUG] Frank's Computer Networking Problems - Continued

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 22:22:35 EDT

I tried to follow along 'cause, for whatever reason, both
Windows computers on my network lost their grip on the network
neighborhood sometime in the past couple of days. I changed
nothing ... but my wife rebooted her box and now things are gone.

In fact, I did a keystroke by keystroke and nothing new seems
broken. That, in itself, is a break with my tradition of
diddling with networking stuff!.

Now ... where the heck is this wins.da file?

Neither of the Windows boxes will confess to having it and
neither will the Linux boxes.

I can FIND (in Windows) both of the Win boxes. I still don't see
the Linux boxes. One thing at a time ... one foot in front of
the other. But Network Neighborhood says "Unable to browse the
network"

frmmmpf!

This on-again / off-again nature of networking is beating me up.

> Get rid of your lmhosts file and empty out your hosts file.

renamed both files

> Then run the command "nbtstat -R" on the windows box to return
> the box to the wholesome goodness that it once was. The -R
> flag is case sensitive.

Wholesome? If they had been either wholesome or good to start
with they would have automatically connected to any box on the
network with an open share! fooey! :-)

> You want to get fancy and do this right? Set up the Linux box
> as the WINS server and point the Windows boxes to it. Under
> the [global] section add the lines:

I hope you meant [global] ... as in /etc/smb.conf ; 'cause
that's where I put that stuff.
> wins support = yes
> name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
> OS Level = 99
>
> if you want the Samba server to use your DNS settings if it
> cannot find an entry in WINS, add the line:
>
> dns proxy = yes

didit

> Then, in the TCP/IP Properties of the Windows boxes set the
> primary wins server entry to point to the Linux box.

didit too ... keyed the IP in and clicked "ADD"

> Restart nmbd and then watch your wins.dat file grow like a
> chia pet before your very eyes.

#nmbd restart

WHAT wins.dat file? Where?

Wish there was someone local who would help me set this up. I'm
going futz here.

Bill