Re: [SLUG] file transfer

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 11:23:00 EDT

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 09:22:17AM -0400, carson_wilcox@yahoo.com wrote:

> Not really an option, I guess I'll just have to sit down and write driver
> to do this since this was the only response I got.
>
> Carson
>
> 08/31/2001 7:56:39 AM, "Patrick Grantham \(aka. Mr Yahoo\)"
> <pwgrant@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Use sneakerner. $99 or less ($79 at buy.com a couple of weeks ago) can buy
> >you a usb zip drive. simple, but effective.

I believe you can look at some things called "slip" and "plip", which
allow you to transfer files over serial and parallel cables
(respectively) between computers. That's assuming they're both running
Linux. I've never used them, but have read a few things about them.
Packages to do them should be on your distro CDs. There may also be
HOWTOs about them in your /usr/doc/HOWTO subdir. I must say, though,
that if you NICs in both machines, a crossover cable and very little
tweaking will get you a network.

Paul