Re: [SLUG] file transfer

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 13:01:49 EDT

On Saturday 01 September 2001 09:22, you wrote:
> Not really an option, I guess I'll just have to sit down and
> write driver to do this since this was the only response I
> got.
>
> Carson

Carson ... your ISP probably gave you some freebie web space.
Why not use FTP to copy files out to the web from one machine
and FTP to copy them back from the web to the other machine? If
security is an issue, use FTP to delete the web copy after each
session. If security is not a _huge_ issue and your needs are
modest, this is also an effective way to store backup files off
site.

Under this scheme you do not need to run a server ... only the
clients. If you need more web space than you can scrounge free
(ie; multiple mailboxes (each!) from your ISP, Hotmail, MSN,
GeoCities etc.) rent some. Ten dollars a month buys quite a bit
of professionally managed space / bandwidth these days ...
plenty for personal or even small business use.

Be made VERY aware that this is a kludge and will not
synchronize files properly if you make changes to both copies
between file swaps. It is, however, useful for casual use with
files of reasonable size so long as you pay attention to what
you are doing.

When my home LAN is on the fritz (it's normal state), this is
the method I use to get stuff from my wife's Win98 machine
(where the scanner is) to mine. I ftp stuff up to my personal
webspace and then walk across the room to my computer and ftp it
back down. Voila ... a 6 meg file transferred when the home LAN
is down.

To exchange files, IIRC, requires SOME sort of server. This
particular example uses the ISP's FTP server and eliminates the
need for you to set up a server on your machines. Moreover,
because FTP is a standardized protocol, this method really
doesn't give a wet cat what OS you use.

Bill

--
icq # 126373831
"If I wager for and God is -- infinite gain;