Re: [SLUG] Stop the music.

From: Bill Ehlert (Ehlerts@SoftHome.net)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 14:53:51 EDT

Thanks you all, Andrew, Russell, Scott, Norbert, and especially Ted...

I took your advice and found a way to make the default MP3 extension launch
XMMS instead of mp123. From Red Hat Ximian desktop I used the GUI to
navigate through the:

1 Control Center
2 Document Handler
3 Default Applications
4 File Types and Programs
5 scrolled down to MP3 audio and
6 Default Action
7 checked Open with Application
8 changed mp123 to XMMS using the Edit button
9 applied the changes and closed all back to desktop

Now, when we double click an MP3 in Nautilus, it brings up the XMMS player
and lets the Mrs control and stop the music. It's wonderful, the wife thinks
I am a Linux guru. :-)

Thanks guys, I owe you.

Bill

P.S. Hey Ted, while I was resting my clicking finger and waiting for the
mouse to cool off, I noticed that you've been on a "Member of SLUG since
August 31, 2001". Thanks for your help I really appreciate you taking the
time to share your experience with us. I hope to hear more from you on the
SLUG list. Atta Boy. Oh, yes, the Mrs says thanks too.

Bill

From: "Ted R. Fletcher" <fletchtr@eckerd.edu>

if the MP3 is started up through the GUI, usually it's kinda funny that
it plays in the background with what seems like no way of stopping it. I
have found (I run Red Hat 7.1 Ximian with Nautilus) that if you just start
up the CD Player or any other MP3 Player that runs via the desktop you'll
find that your music is playing invisibly in the background. This is due
to conflicting default music players in Nautilus. To Fix: go through your
file settings in Nautilus (similar to Winblows) and designate XMMS
(similar to Winamp) as your default player by changing the launch
properties of the files....from mp123 to xmms <filename>. Finding the
default MP3 player/media player that plays through the GUI when files are
double-clicked is the hardest part. I usually find it through the GUI by
clicking on

Gnome Foot - Multimedia - <players are located here>

Once you launch the correct application it will kill the song. (woo hoo!)

I usually just make sure to launch Xmms from my desktop and look to play
songs by clicking the button in the middle of it to bring up the music
files. (I'm a big command line fan myself though) Or one last
thing....when looking to play music....just tell the Mrs. to right-click
on the song she wants to play and choose "play in Xmms" (granted Xmms has
been installed).

good luck, (lemme know if this helps)

TED FLETCHER (Member of SLUG since August 31, 2001) ;-)