Re: [SLUG] Looking for a low cost sound card for Linux

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 10:09:43 EDT

Carson Wilcox wrote:
> While I agree with the "you are not learning anything"
> for the most part. I have to comment that while
> learing is a good thing, for Linux to become more
> mainstream, things like autodetect need to work a lot
> better. The majority of users are not interested in
> "learning", the simply what to sit down and "use". I'm
> not making a judgement, simply facing the facts of the
> real world.

And the real world dictates that Microsoft is far worse. Vendor
participation and support is key. It is the only reason MS-DOS 7.x
(aka Windows 95/98/ME) seems to autodetect hardware better is
because it has vendor support (as well as uses "aggressive"/"crash
prone" probing -- but that's another story). Of course Windows ME
"compatibility" has gone down significantly compared to its MS-DOS
7.x siblings, and don't even get me started on NT/2000. ;-PPP

I could explain all the details of the SBLive driver's development
for Linux, but I'll leave that to those who want to hear it
off-list.

-- Bryan "TheBS" Smith
   Longtime NT and Linux user and new subscriber

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org