Re: [SLUG] Ribbon Reinking

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 18:42:23 EDT

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:05:39PM +0000, Ron KA4INM Youvan wrote:

> Hi Paul M Foster:
>
> > Anyone know how and with what to re-ink Oki 320T printer ribbons? If
> > not, does anyone know of a reliable local company that does it?
>
> > Paul
>
> I always did it by lightly coating the ribbon and the felt
> re-inking pad with WD-40, liquefying the dried ink, takes
> very little, then run the ribbon through the harp/case
> a couple of hundred times. Easy to over do, if over done
> you will have clear oil stain around each character.
> (I don't know this printer, did with many brands and types)

Yeah, this is the trick I use. But it runs out quick. I print one-up
labels on this printer, and I barely get 2000 before the ink gets weak.
With WD-40, it wears out quicker. So I was looking for a better
solution. Also, I can't afford oil stains on barcodes, as the Post
Office is getting very pissy about clean barcodes these days.

Paul