Re: [SLUG] On-board Video Card

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 23:33:23 EDT

On Sunday 09 September 2001 12:41 pm, me@glennmeyer.com wrote:

> I have an on-board video card that has caused constant problems
> during installations - the last straw is that I cannot get through
> the RedHat 7.1 installation - Xserver seems to crash the entire
> installation.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a way for me add a PCI video card and not
> use the on-board card?
>
> The system is an older Digital Celebris GL 6180 Pentium Pro 180 -
> unfortunately, it is a proprietary case and board arrangement, so
> upgrading the motherboard is out.
>
> The on-board video card is a Matrox Millenium MGA 2064W (2MB - not
> shared RAM) and should use the XF86_SVGA server. Yes, this card is
> on the RedHat HCL and should be fully compatible.
>
> Can I buy a plain PCI video card (that is also on the HCL), add it
> to the system and use it rather than the on-board card? Will the
> RedHat installation still see the on-board card and try to use it?
>
> Thanks for your input!!
>
> Glenn Meyer
> Valrico
> -------------------

Try skipping the X Window configuration during the install and try to
configure it AFTER the install. Maybe the on-board video will work
with XFree86 but it is just giving the RH 7.1 installer trouble.

Once the install is complete and you reboot you can use one of the
command line tools to help configure X. I believe in RH 7.1 you can
use Xconfigurator or xf86config, in that order. Xconfigurator will
give you a windowed VGA interface where xf86config will just list a
series of questions on the command line.

Give that a try :)

--
R.G. Mayhue
r.g.mayhue@verizon.net