Re: Re: [SLUG] On-board Video Card

From: me@glennmeyer.com
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 00:58:49 EDT

>On Sunday 09 September 2001 12:41 pm, me@glennmeyer.com wrote:
>>
>> I have an on-board video card that has caused constant problems
>> during installations - the last straw is that I cannot get through
>> the RedHat 7.1 installation - Xserver seems to crash the entire
>> installation.
>>
>> I'm wondering if there is a way for me add a PCI video card and not
>> use the on-board card?
>>
>> The system is an older Digital Celebris GL 6180 Pentium Pro 180 -
>> unfortunately, it is a proprietary case and board arrangement, so
>> upgrading the motherboard is out.
>>
>> The on-board video card is a Matrox Millenium MGA 2064W (2MB - not
>> shared RAM) and should use the XF86_SVGA server. Yes, this card is
>> on the RedHat HCL and should be fully compatible.
>>
>> Can I buy a plain PCI video card (that is also on the HCL), add it
>> to the system and use it rather than the on-board card? Will the
>> RedHat installation still see the on-board card and try to use it?
>>
>> Thanks for your input!!
>>
>> Glenn Meyer
>> Valrico
>> -------------------
>>
>Try skipping the X Window configuration during the install and try to
>configure it AFTER the install. Maybe the on-board video will work
>with XFree86 but it is just giving the RH 7.1 installer trouble.
>
>Once the install is complete and you reboot you can use one of the
>command line tools to help configure X. I believe in RH 7.1 you can
>use Xconfigurator or xf86config, in that order. Xconfigurator will
>give you a windowed VGA interface where xf86config will just list a
>series of questions on the command line.
>
>Give that a try :)
>--
>R.G. Mayhue
>r.g.mayhue@verizon.net

Thank you for your reply! This is exactly what I have been trying to do, but must be missing something.

In the GUI install, I have tried checking the "SKIP X Window Configuration" checkbox in the install, but by that time, the the Xserver has been running for some time and it still crashes just after detecting the video card.

So, I have tried the TEXT setup and the EXPERT setup - but do not see an option to skip X configuration - and it crashes right after detecting the video card.

Am I missing something somewhere? Do I need to do the installation without any Xwindow options and then go back and add them as seperate packages later?

Thank you!
Glenn.