Re: [SLUG] Expired Domain Names

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 22:30:43 EDT

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Anyone know why a domain name registered with NS, which expired
> (according to whois) on 21 July, would still not be available, according
> to NS? Doesn't make any sense, and I'm getting aggravated.

Domain hoarding (the playing field is NOT level ... insiders
can get domains that 'just us folks' cannot). I have seen
circumstances where I research a domain for a client -- never
taken -- not obvious -- and the client delays a week deciding
-- Whatdoyouknow -- a domain hoarder has taken it --

-- it is pretty clear that some of the web based domain
availability tools 'report to their masters' what is being
requested (I can see a method using web logs which is trivial
to implement).

Also the 'purge process' at NS need not be efficient, so long
as the 'lock process' works, from NS' point of view.

-- Russ