Re: [SLUG] Expired Domain Names

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 23:42:36 EDT

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 10:30:43PM -0400, Russ Herrold wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> > Anyone know why a domain name registered with NS, which expired
> > (according to whois) on 21 July, would still not be available, according
> > to NS? Doesn't make any sense, and I'm getting aggravated.
>
> Domain hoarding (the playing field is NOT level ... insiders
> can get domains that 'just us folks' cannot). I have seen
> circumstances where I research a domain for a client -- never
> taken -- not obvious -- and the client delays a week deciding
> -- Whatdoyouknow -- a domain hoarder has taken it --

This is generally why I never run a whois on a domain I'm interested in.
I assume that some entity is watching for queries like this. I just type
it in my browser and see what comes up. Or ping.

> -- it is pretty clear that some of the web based domain
> availability tools 'report to their masters' what is being
> requested (I can see a method using web logs which is trivial
> to implement).

> Also the 'purge process' at NS need not be efficient, so long
> as the 'lock process' works, from NS' point of view.
>
> -- Russ

Well, I should have asked the obvious question: Does anyone know what
can be done about it? Would email to NS do any good? And if indeed NS is
simply holding onto the name after its expiry, would it be worth
contacting ICANN? Can it be assumed that they can do any arm-twisting
with NS and other registrars? (Yeah, I know, ICANN is evil, yada yada.)

Paul