Re: [SLUG] Re:

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 00:05:59 EDT

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 10:00:01PM -0400, Rusty wrote:

> Jeez, I just joined this list. I didn't read anywhere that this group had a
> censor. Perhaps you may point out to me what is politically correct by your
> standards or am I to be unsubscribed for asking this question?
>
> This is just an observation from a newcomer but it appears that this
> group has
> some tight assed people in charge of something.
>
> Rusty

I would be the "tight-assed" person you're referring to. The reference
on what's allowed and what's not allowed is the list charter. This is
emailed out once a month, and also appears on the website at:

http://www.suncoastlug.org/lists.html

Typically, this list is for technical questions, computer/Linux related
news items or humor, and such. Volatile subjects, political discussions,
flames and such belong on a separate list, the SLUG Politics list, also
mentioned on the page I referenced above. There are _no_ rules on that
list, and it serves as a safety valve for _this_ list. I occasionally
start fights on that list myself. ;-}

I've given some latitude to this particular thread, because the events
of the last few days have been truly devastating. I realize that
people understandably wish to express their feelings, and that all this
has caused emotions to flare. In this case, Frank has taken offense at
something which probably _does_ belong on the politics list. Understand,
though, that Tom Ufer and I are the only ones who can actually
uns*bscr*be anyone. We don't do it lightly, and we always consult each
other before taking extreme action. Our rule of thumb is what's best for
the list and the group.

We have members on other lists (myself included), who are glad to have
the SLUG list for real Linux answers, a sense of community, and an
absence of ranting and flaming. (See the HTML Writer's Guild list, or
the Silicon Valley LUG list for real out-of-control lists.)

My philosophy is this: I don't want to hear a lot of newbie bashing, a
lot of ill-tempered sniping, or a lot of foul language. I prefer that we
be adults and get along. I also prefer that we have a list where anyone
can come and ask Linux or computer-related questions and get answers. I
suspect most of the people s*bscr*bed here agree with me.

There is no "censor" on the list; posts appear just as they are written
by the originators. But list members are free to ask that ranters take
their rants to the politics list, as Frank has done. And usually, I'm
inclined to agree with them.

Paul M. Foster
President
Suncoast Linux Users Group (SLUG)