[SLUG] Windows 98 problem

From: dopler2@juno.com
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 12:13:05 EDT

     This is non-linux, but I know a lot of you use Windows. Of course,
this may be a hardware problem.

     I have a friend whose computer is having a problem. The p/c is a
Hewlett Packard Vectra, I forget which model number. I don't know the
size
of the hard drive, or much of anything else about the hardware. It has
Windows 98 on it.
     At different times when starting it up, you get an error notice like
the
standard fatal error on an application which Windows gives. I saw the
error at three different points, after three different bootups: upon
bootup while loading the Windows desktop display, upon clicking the icon
to try to start MS Works, and upon trying to open a blank document in MS
Word. We rebooted the first couple of times, but the last time we just
hit the space bar and went on.
We worked with MS Word for about two hours, with no further errors. Saved
the work about every ten minutes as we went along, just to play safe.
     The error was worded as follows:

     A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C02A5[ABA] in VXD VCOMM(04)
+ 00000B[7E]. The current operation will be terminated.
     Press any key to terminate current application.
     CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart.
     Any key to continue.
     The message was almost the same all three times, but the portions in
brackets (which are my addition) changed at least once (didn't notice if
they always changed). This error message is pretty recent. We had a
tropical storm through here yesterday, but no lightening.
     My guess would be either that Windows needs to be reloaded, or maybe
a memory chip is having problems. My friend says she first noticed the
problem when she took a diskette from the first p/c in her home to her
second one. She thinks if she just stops sharing diskettes between her
two machines, that will resolve the problem.
     If there are any other possibilities, appreciate your input.

Frank Starr

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.