[SLUG] RH 7.1 Crash & Recovery

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 17:15:20 EDT

HELP!

This morning Netscape running under KDE in RH 7.1 completely froze my
system.

Since the system was frozen and I could not use the keyboard or the
mouse I turned off the power.

Big Mistake.

Now the system refuses to boot past /home or /var.

Error message is that /home and /var contain a file system with errors,
check forced.

for /home Unattached inode 256589
          UNEXPECTED INCONSTANCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

for /var An error occurred during the file system check.
         Dropping you to a shell;

HELP! Please advise how to proceed before I mess something else up.

Thanks
Frank