Re: [SLUG] RH 7.1 Crash & Recovery

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 19:00:25 EDT

Since it drops you to a shell just prompt do what it tells you to do --
run fsck manually.

I don't know what partitions /home and /var are on (/dev/hda1,
/dev/hda2...?) but if you know -- and you should remember if you
installed it -- then at the prompt type:

fsck /dev/<a partition>

for each of the partitions. If fsck prompts you for information during
the fixups just press the enter key and accept the defaults. I had a
client who never could get the hang of shutting down the computer and
ALWAYS just turned it off. About once every couple of weeks I had to
guide him through the above procedure and it always got him going again.

Ed.