Re: [SLUG] RH 7.1 Crash & Recovery

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 19:20:55 EDT

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, SOTL wrote:

> Thanks for the help Russ.

... my pleasure

> I am sending this from the RH 7.1 system that crashed.

Unlike some op sys's which might require a reinstall -- cough
cough -- NT 3.51 --

> I certainly would like to know what caused the original
> freeze up because this is not the first time all functions
> keyboard and mouse have completely frozen.

Almost certainly some memory leak in Netscape -- get the
latest -- 4.78, as I recall and update. The contractual
inability of NS to provide sources make interperting a 'core'
an unprofitable use of time.

In the future you should also be running a SSH server (and if
within a secure local loop, one might consider a wrappered
telnet-server) -- so that you might ssh/telnet, in and
determine the process ID of all the Netscapes, and kill them
off.

   "All your Netscape are ours" so to speak.

Consider another browser -- Konqueror, or Mozilla -- I see you
use kmail. The new RH beta, which I am running _everywhere_
as my X-top is really nice and has not had the NS lockups I
had with RH 7.1's NS. Mozilla is quite usaable, and Konqueror
is fine as well.

-- Russ