Re: [SLUG] RH 7.1 Crash & Recovery

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 05:59:42 EDT

On Sunday 16 September 2001 07:20 pm, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, SOTL wrote:
> > Thanks for the help Russ.
>
> ... my pleasure
>
> > I am sending this from the RH 7.1 system that crashed.
>
> Unlike some op sys's which might require a reinstall -- cough
> cough -- NT 3.51 --
>
> > I certainly would like to know what caused the original
> > freeze up because this is not the first time all functions
> > keyboard and mouse have completely frozen.
>
> Almost certainly some memory leak in Netscape -- get the
> latest -- 4.78, as I recall and update. The contractual
> inability of NS to provide sources make interpreting a 'core'
> an unprofitable use of time.

> -- Russ

I would switched entirely to Konqueror except that there are web sites that I
can not access with Konqueror. Likewise I find that there are numerous things
that I can do with Konqueror that I can not do with Netscape. As far a
Mozilla is concerned there is nothing that I have found that I can do with it
that I can not do with Netscape or Konqueror.

After playing with RH 7.1 for a few months and installing it at least 20
times in different fashions I am under the opinion that there are numerous
things about the installation that need major improvement.

Now to bring up the subject of installation at this time may seem strange but
I am not certain that this problem was not a separate issue.

As some of you may recall from previous posts that I have 2 network cards and
a modern configured such that I can connect to the internet by either modern
or ethernet and an Internet network which consists of one additional computer.

What I have found on installation is that I can configure the computer for
either 2 ethernet cards or one ethernet card and the modem. What happens if I
attempt to configure on installation for both ethernet cards and the modem is
that a few things appear to be left left out and that certain programs just
do not work correctly. Several programs that work with either the 2 network
card installation or the one network card installation and modem installation
do not work correctly with all three both network cards and the modem.

The point being to this is that Netscape appears to be one of those programs
that for some reason does not like my configuration. Konqueror does not
appear to have a problem with it.

Anyway thanks all for the help.

Thanks
Frank