Re: [SLUG] How can I mount an NTFS share?

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 16:29:02 EDT

Glenn Meyer wrote:
> I have a mixture of NT and Linux machines. I store most of
> the important data for all of my machines using Samba on one
> of the Linux machines because it has the tape drive and cd-r
> for backups.

Good move. The NFS-Samba combo is best rather than trying to serve
from Windows. Not just becuase its Windows, but you'll often have
codepage and case sensitivity issues. Plus only Linux has an SMBfs
mount option (if you have non-Linux UNIX flavors).

> Unfortunately, I have filled up that server's drive space.

Buy another hard drive, even if it is just non-redundant IDE, to
off-load lesser used info.

> Now I need to restore a rather large file from tape and I
> don't have space on the linux server.

That's the perfect reason to buy a temporary drive. Heck, you can
get older SCSI drives, an external bay and a controller for <<$200
total and move it as necessary.

> However, I do have a bunch of space on the NT boxes.
> QUESTION: Is is possible to mount an NTFS file share from and
> NT machine on a Linux server so that I can do the restore?

Yes, but you'll lose any UNIX file attributes and info. And you can
only do this with Linux licents as SMBfs is only available on Linux.

> I know I can use the Samba client to access the space, but that
> wouldn't work with the restore.

You mean smbclient, the FTP-like program, right? Yes, you are
correct in that.

But Linux itself also includes (unlike other UNIX flavors who are
just suck with "smbclient") a kernel module for mounting SMB shares
like any other native UNIX filesystem. The filesystem is "smbfs"
and the user-space utility is "smbmount". I don't recommend it for
permanent usage (because of the codepage/case issues), but temporary
it should do the trick.

> Any suggestions (other than the obvious - get a bigger drive)
> would be appreciated! Thanks!
> Glenn.

-- TheBS

--