Re: [SLUG] Removing USB support.

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 13:42:33 EDT

Mike Manchester wrote:
> How or can I remove USB support from Linux? I don't have any USB
> devices and I'm afraid that it's messing with IRQs.

First off, USB IRQ assignment is done by the BIOS, at least in the
case of Award.

Plus, Linux doesn't re-arrange or assign IRQs to devices without
your permission (unlike Windows 9x/ME).

> Or will this cause problems in other areas?

Shouldn't. There is no reason to even load the USB hub driver, nor
any device support. If you move the "usb" directory out of your
kernel modules directory (e.g., /lib/modules/2.4.3-12/...), that
should completely prevent it from loading. But don't blindly delete
it.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413