Re: [SLUG] Formating HD

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 15:18:55 EDT

Andrew Wyatt wrote (or forwarded?):
> Nice :-) I wonder if there is a Microsoft office to x office
> migration help list, I bet I could get my wife to help out,
> she's an MS Office to staroffice/koffice/gnome office convert ;-)
> (I can possibly help out though my knowledge with any office type
> app is limited)

If you already using a Linux app, I'd say its on-topic here. If you
are using an OSS on Windows, that will vary. I, myself, believe OSS
usage on Windows is on-topic for a Linux list -- since people use
apps, not OSes, and Linux is about OSS more than anything, but
others disagree.

If you are using Microsoft Office, I'd say it all depends on the
version. If you are already upto 2000 or, worse yet, XP, it's going
to be awhile. Stay on a Windows list (like
mailto:pc_support@matrixlist.com). If you are at Office 95 or 97,
then your prospects are better.

I have been using StarOffice since 1996 and am a big fan of
StarImpress, using it for presentations 1996-2000. I'm not a big
fan for word processing (which I consider a pre-GUI technology), so
I hate StarWriter (except for HTML) let alone Word, WordPerfect and
others (and Lotus killed AmiPro in 1995, a good desktop publishing
app IMHO), and StarCalc (let alone Excel** itself) still seems to
lack capabilities Gnumeric has (although Lotus 1-2-3 from 6 years
ago toasts them all).

[ **Note: The reason why Excel is lacking is because most of us
approach spreadsheets like a single-user database. Since Microsoft
already has a single-user database in Access, Excel takes a back
seat in a lot of data features. It also lacked some basic
formatting features and a multi-level undo until 2000 -- some 5
years after 1-2-3 release 4 came out. ]

I use a variety of apps for different jobs. A couple of past posts
I made that might interest you are:
http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/pipermail/members/2001-August/000758.html
http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/leaplist/2001-May/012239.html

I will be presenting a cross-platform [desktop] application
presentation at the October 31st C&T Showcase in Jacksonville in
coordination with JAXLUG.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413