[SLUG] Increased logging

From: Glenn Meyer (me@glennmeyer.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 15:16:31 EDT

I have a problem with my RedHat 7.1 (both kernel 2.4.2 and 2.4.3) system
either locking up hard or rebooting on it's own when running long restores
(more than 45 mins) from tape to hard drive. I use a generic clone PC with a
AHA-2940 SCSI card and an HP SureStore 5000 tape drive.

Using this same SCSI Card and Tape drive on another system with RedHat 6.2
and 7.0, I had no problems. Since then, I have moved this card/tape drive to
another PC with RedHat 7.1 - so I am thinking it might be either a hardware
interaction issue or a kernel 2.4 issue.

A couple of questions...
1.) Does this sound like a hardware issue?
2.) Is it possible to log what is happening to help confirm/correct the
problem? Maybe it already is and I just don't know where to look.
3.) Any suggestions?

Thank you. I appreciate the expertise on this list. So far, you folks have
been able to help me sove everyone of my problems. I really appreciate it!!

Glenn.