Re: [SLUG] Increased logging

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 16:16:45 EDT

Glenn Meyer wrote:
> ... RedHat 7.1 (both kernel 2.4.2 and 2.4.3) ... locking up hard ...
> AHA-2940 SCSI card ... same SCSI Card ... RedHat 6.2 and 7.0, I had
> no problems ...

In using Linux with Adaptec cards since 1993, I have banged my head
up against the wall with absolute regularity. I remember when
Adaptec first started "officially" supporting Linux 1997 -- the
"hacked" drivers were replaced by far worse "official" ones. Again,
sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Frustration after
frustration keeps me from buying Adaptec anymore.

Especially with Ultra and/or Wide Single Ended (SE), let alone the
Ultra2/80, 160+ Low Voltage Differential (LVD) speeds. So, while
I'll use FastNarrow Adaptec cards, various ones, but nothing that
does Ultra, Wide nor LVD.

When I need Ultra, I go with the guys that have been officially
supporting Linux since they were, basically, born -- Advansys.
You'll find their chips at the heart of IOMega and a number of SIIG
SCSI controllers. After having various issues with an Adaptec
AHA-2940UW driving an Exabyte Mammoth2, I ripped it out and put an
$89 SIIG Ultra40 in and got solid, and even faster performance, with
no other issues.

I also prefer Symbios Logic-based solutions. I have used them on
Alpha (Linux, NT, OpenVMS) as well as Intel. They always beat
Adaptec in both price and performance in every single review I've
seen. TekRam's DC-395-series ports Symbios' solutions, including
even some low-costing dual-channel Ultra160 ones. For a review of
the TekRam v. Adaptec Ultra160 solutions, see here:
   http://www.zepa.net/hypermail/elug/hardware/2001/05/0003.html
   http://www.zepa.net/hypermail/elug/hardware/2001/05/0004.html

Adaptec is to SCSI what Promise is to IDE. The retail marketeer who
is more expensive and slower than better options -- especially for
Linux support. The only Adaptec products I can stand are the old
DPT ones -- they have good Alpha and Linux support (using a nice,
well-defined, I2C-based interface at the controller).

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org