Re: [SLUG] is there tar to rpm utility

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 11:36:51 EDT

Mike Manchester wrote:
> Yes I am aware of that. An archive which contains source code
> that needs compiled and installed.
> So if you tar your /usr/bin directory, so that all the programs
> can be installed on another machine, is tar then a package also?

Er, I'm not talking binary v. source. Otherwise, a Source RPM (SRPM
-- .src.rpm) would be just an archive. It is not. It is still a
package.

A package includes dependency and version checking, pre/post install
scripts, etc...

> RPM can also be and archive (though not as easy to use as tar).

RPM is not an archive, although it uses CPIO for its archiving
function.

> If you are defining an Archive as a place to store all code related
> to a project.

No, an archive is a collection of files. That's it.

> package = {source,compile,make,install}
> archive = {source}

package = {install/versioning scripts, {archive}}
archive = {binary or source files}

> No I would say it's more like apples and apple sauce :)

No, more like apples to apple pie.

> So back to my original question.
> I'm looking for a tool that will create a valid spec file from the
> information contained in a tar file. I can do this by editing a spec
> file template. But was looking for maybe a shell script that would do it
> a little quicker. Or a utility that would do all the steps needed for
> creating an RPM file from a tar file.

So you are talking about simply repackaging tar into an RPM package
that has no useful information whatsoever.

-- TheBS

P.S. FYI, most source tarballs come with a "install.sh" script.

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org