Re: [SLUG] is there tar to rpm utility

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 11:09:22 EDT

Bryan-TheBS-Smith wrote:

> Mike Manchester wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a utility that will create an rpm file from
> > a tar file. I know you can us rpm to do that if there is a valid
> > spec file in the tar file. But I've found that most tar files do not
> > contain one. I have searched google and freshmeat with not luck.
>
> Tar is an archive.

Yes I am aware of that. An archive which contains source code that needs
compiled and installed.
So if you tar your /usr/bin directory, so that all the programs can be
installed on another machine, is tar then a package also?

> RPM is a package.

RPM can also be and archive (though not as easy to use as tar). If you
are defining an Archive as a place to store all code related to a
project.

> archive != package
>
> Maybe package = { archive, ... } but archive != { package, ... }

package = {source,compile,make,install}
archive = {source}

> So you are comparing apples to oranges.

No I would say it's more like apples and apple sauce :)

So back to my original question.
I'm looking for a tool that will create a valid spec file from the
information contained in a tar file. I can do this by editing a spec
file template. But was looking for maybe a shell script that would do it
a little quicker. Or a utility that would do all the steps needed for
creating an RPM file from a tar file.

Mike M.