Re: [SLUG] is there tar to rpm utility

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 13:18:56 EDT

Ron KA4INM Youvan wrote:
> don't know what a RPM file really is,

It used to mean RedHat Package Manager, but it is now a less
vendor-centric, GNU-like recursive algorithm: RPM Package Manager

> I do run rpm2gtz on them if it is the only format I can find.

Again, that's because:
   package = { archive, ... }
   archive != { package, ... }

Going from a package to an archive is just a matter of stripping out
the package info and possibly converting between package formats
(like CPIO -> Tar).

> Humor a dummy (Slackware user) here please, if you have
> the gtz version of a program, why do you need to make it
> into a RPM form?

As the BSD guys say, "if it ain't source, you don't want it." ;-PPP

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org