Re: [SLUG] is there tar to rpm utility

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 14:03:58 EDT

Ron KA4INM Youvan wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> > So back to my original question.
> > I'm looking for a tool that will create a valid spec file from the
> > information contained in a tar file. I can do this by editing a spec
> > file template. But was looking for maybe a shell script that would do it
> > a little quicker. Or a utility that would do all the steps needed for
> > creating an RPM file from a tar file.
>
> I don't know what a RPM file really is, I do run rpm2gtz
> on them if it is the only format I can find.
> Humor a dummy (Slackware user) here please, if you have
> the gtz version of a program, why do you need to make it
> into a RPM form?

Just makes life easier.
To find out what I have installed on my system I can do
"rpm -qa" and I'll get a list of all rpm installed software.
To install I just do "rpm -U filename" I don't have to untar, configure, make
and install. This also checks that I have all the needed files to run the
program with. I don't have to search through a list of compiler output to
insure it had all the needed files to compile.
to remove a program I just have to do "rpm -e" and it along with all of it's
files are gone. I don't have to spend hours trying to figure out what was
installed from the tar. Unless of course the tar file had an uninstall in it.
In which case I have to still have the original tar file around so I can
untar it to run uninstall.

That's all just easier.

Mike M