Re: [SLUG] is there tar to rpm utility

From: Bill Ehlert (Ehlerts@SoftHome.net)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 14:55:54 EDT

Hi Bryan-TheBS-Smith,

I am using Red Hat 7.1 Linux at home and very interested in back up of about
4 GB of data to CD-ROMs.

I've picked up your
      back2cd.tcsh,v 1.4 2000/12/15 16:12:48 bjsmith
and printed it out at my office and plan to study it when I get home and try
to learn how it works.

Meanwhile, do you know if tar can split a multi-gig folder into 650 MB
chunks so they can be written to a CD-RW. I'd like to put something in a
bash script that will use just tar to archive the big folder into smaller
archive volumes.

Years ago, I worked with 8MM tapes that we would tar our backups to and tar
would split or span the data to several tape volumes. I'd like to do
something like that, but instead of tape - use a hard drive and ask tar to
output 650 MB chunks. Then I'll take the chunks and write them to CD-ROMs.

What I'm looking for is a simple bash script that I can write (and
understand) that I can run in Red Hat 7.1 to do the job. To keep it simple,
I'd like to use just tar by itself and not have to pipe the tar output to
split.

I would appreciate your, or any SLUG guru suggestions and tips.

Bill

< snip >