Re: [SLUG] is there tar to rpm utility

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 16:05:07 EDT

Bill Ehlert wrote:
> I've picked up your
> back2cd.tcsh,v 1.4 2000/12/15 16:12:48 bjsmith
> and printed it out at my office and plan to study it when I get home and try
> to learn how it works.

Just run it and it will spit out the syntax. Run it with a label
and directory and it will spit out an ISO file. Burn that ISO file
using whatever software you want (even Adaptec CD Creator under
Windows!) and you'll see how it works.

> Meanwhile, do you know if tar can split a multi-gig folder into 650 MB
> chunks so they can be written to a CD-RW. I'd like to put something in a
> bash script that will use just tar to archive the big folder into smaller
> archive volumes.

You do *NOT* want to use Tar for CDs. Why? Because the ISO9660
format that Mkisofs is already an archiver. First Tar'ing and then
mastering (c/o Mkisofs) is like "double archiving". It not only
makes restoring more difficult, but increases the chance of losing
data should you have a corruption.

The _only_way_ to see what I mean is to try the script. Again, I
originally wrote it for Steve Litt who has refused to use it
(despite asking for it in the first place). We have gone back and
forth on this for almost a year now, and he still doesn't understand
anything I'm saying. The only way one can understand it is to try
it out and see what it actually does.

BTW, he' is going to be embarrassed _big_time_ in about two months
on this. ;-PPP

> Years ago, I worked with 8MM tapes that we would tar our backups to and tar
> would split or span the data to several tape volumes. I'd like to do
> something like that, but instead of tape - use a hard drive and ask tar to
> output 650 MB chunks. Then I'll take the chunks and write them to CD-ROMs.

I'm working on a binary program called "car" that does what my
script does, but uses a "tar"-like syntax and has various output
options (like "spliting" the ISO9660 images). I will also working
on a "dar" version for DVD/UDF (universal device format -- used by
DVD as well as packet/CD-RW), but there is a darth of utilities for
UDF right now.

> What I'm looking for is a simple bash script that I can write (and
> understand) that I can run in Red Hat 7.1 to do the job. To keep it simple,
> I'd like to use just tar by itself and not have to pipe the tar output to
> split.

This script uses [t]csh, so make sure you install tcsh.

> I would appreciate your, or any SLUG guru suggestions and tips.

Again, I'm working on "car" so I'll let you know more when I get
near completing it. I have some issues with "repackaging"
 mkisofs/mkhybrid that have prevented me from getting too far yet.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org