Re: [SLUG] Empower Technologies

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 14:59:21 EDT

Bryan-TheBS-Smith wrote:

> Tina Gasperson wrote:
> > Thanks Derek and Norb. BTW, word is that Empower may
> > be cooperating with copyright holders in order to come
> > into compliance - which would be great news. I may do
> > a follow up story if that comes to pass.
>
> What is the current issue? Almost every article I read doesn't talk
> about what are the specific issues. I mean, anyone can take GPL and
> use it in a commercial hardware product, as long as they don't
> modify any GPL software and/or any additions to the GPL software are
> released GPL, or are standalone software that does not rely on any
> GPL software or only linked against LGPL libraries.

There are a few issues:

* they are using the Linux kernel and GNU tools as their "LinuxDA"
operating system and "SDK" but requiring you accept a
typically-restrictive EULA license to use them, in effect trying to
re-license GPL-licensed software (blatantly against the GPL) without
getting permission from the authors who originally wrote the software,
and not incidentally ignoring the rights granted to the end-user by the
GPL and

* they are not providing access to source for anything that is covered
under GPL

* they do not indicate to the end user which portions, of the OS and
tools they are downloading are licensed under the GPL, or even that they
are GPL software, nor do they outline the rights allowed to the end-user
from the GPL license by making available a copy of the GPL

* at least by Tina's article, they are being beligerent about accepting
the fact that the software they are trying to sell is in fact GPL
software and understanding the rights covered by the GPL

In short, its blatant misappropriation of GPL software and blatant
disregard of almost every aspect of the GPL.

Hopefully, as Tina implied, they'll see the light and fix things.
Particularly considering how blatant the violations are.

It's probably too late to make any difference for a lot of people though
- immediately after reading Tina's article yesterday I sent them a
polite note stating that I had been very interested as a developer and
end-user of their LinuxDA software on my Palm IIIxe (the truth), but
after having read Tina's article and seeing their attitude towards the
GPL and the developers who wrote the software they are trying to take
advantage of, I would no longer ever consider their product as a
developer or end-user, nor would I ever recommend anyone use their
products because of their actions and attitude.

And I just want to compliment Tina again on a solid job of reporting.

Without trying to take anything away from Tina's ability, it's kind of
sad when a reporter's story is considered excellent because they've done
something as simple as making a phone call or two to relevant parties to
try to gain new information on the story instead of just repeating the
same thing reported on another web site.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$t=255;@t=map
{$_%16or$t^=$c^=($m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;
$t^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)
[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h=5;$_=unxb24,join
"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$d=
unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d>>8^($f=$t&($d
>>12^$d>>4^$d^$d/8))<<17,$e=$e>>8^($t&($g=($q=$e>>14&7^$e)^$q*
print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval

usage: qrpff 153 2 8 105 225 < /mnt/dvd/VOB_FILENAME \ | extract_mpeg2 | mpeg2dec -

http://www.eff.org/ http://www.opendvd.org/ http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/