Re: [SLUG] Empower Technologies

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 16:55:39 EDT

Derek Glidden wrote:
> * they are using the Linux kernel and GNU tools as their "LinuxDA"
> operating system and "SDK" but requiring you accept a
> typically-restrictive EULA license ...

Yeah, I did notice that. This is unfortunate. So in their
arrogance, they aren't taking the time to see what is GPL and what
is not and license accordinging. That is just stupidity on their
part, and it's lawyers themselves who get themselves into such
issues.

> * they are not providing access to source for anything that is covered
> under GPL

I did understand that. Why they are not I have no idea.

> * at least by Tina's article, they are being beligerent about accepting
> the fact that the software they are trying to sell is in fact GPL
> software and understanding the rights covered by the GPL

Yes, I noticed that. People just cannot keep their cool sometimes.

> In short, its blatant misappropriation of GPL software and blatant
> disregard of almost every aspect of the GPL.

No, not every aspect. Many aspects, yes. But I was under the
impression there were different violations -- but I guess not.

It's good that we are ensuring people abide by the GPL. But there
is a difference between a legal stance (like the FSMLabs' RTLinux),
and ripping into a commercial software product (like what someone
did to the Everybuddy program). A lot of people who don't
understand the issue get all upset and start flaming. I'm sure

But I *DO* agree that Empower has handled it very poorly. They'll
learn. So many people out there think they cannot ship a commercial
product with GPL and that is simply not the case. The flammage
going on makes me sick -- especially when people have the facts
wrong (you seem to have them right though).

This is quite unlike FSMLabs, were they were being lambasted by so
many over just some basic issues with just "registration" type
issues -- and the patent was *NOT* the issue in their case. When
people were lashing out at FSMLabs over the patent, I was really
getting sick of the bigotry by some people.

I work at a company that uses GPL software in a commercial hardware
product, and makes sure we clearly separate our GPL from non-GPL
components. We also release a lot of GPL software (largely drivers)
ourselves, and work with other vendors (who always want to through
NDAs in our face) to get them to the community.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org