Re: [SLUG] Empower Technologies

From: \ (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 16:31:31 EDT

> Without trying to take anything away from Tina's ability, it's kind of
> sad when a reporter's story is considered excellent because they've done
> something as simple as making a phone call or two to relevant parties to
> try to gain new information on the story instead of just repeating the
> same thing reported on another web site.

Well... you also have to have a handle on the ins and outs of software
licensing, particularly open source and free software licensing, to know
what questions to ask once you get the relevant parties on the phone.

There are plenty of competent reporters at the St. Pete Times and Tampa
Trib (and other papers) who know how to make calls and write down
answers to questions, and they know their "beats" pretty well (okay,
some do and some don't) but wouldn't have a prayer of a chance at
writing a decent story about open source & gpl licensing conflicts --
and their audience wouldn't be interested in or understand that story if
they did.

In the last 1.5 years I have watched Tina grow into one of the world's
most knowledgable reporters on the "open source beat," and she deserves
far more credit than she gets for the excellent work she does.

- Robin Miller
(aka "Tina's boss")