Re: [SLUG] gateway/router

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 22:17:28 EDT

Rusty wrote:
> I guess the time has come to ask for help. I have a pentium box set up
> as a NIX gateway/router. This box has two (2) 3COM 905-B TX 10/100
> Eithernet cards. The first card (xl0) has a static IP. The second card
> (xl1) has a RFC 1918 private address of 192.168.0.1.
> The problem is I can't get them to talk to each other. I have set them
> up in accordance with howto's, directions contained in 2 inch thick
> books on networking and incanations to a little voodoo doll I keep for
> special occasions. This voodoo doll was contained in a a special Linux
> toolkit .

Okay, let's look at this methodically. Tell me what the following
give you (offlist if you are worried about security and publishing
your IP(s)):

$ uname -r

[ I'm curious which kernel you are running ]

$ cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

[ I've gone nuts trying to figure out just WTF was wrong with my
routing/masq setup before and forgotten to check that this has a "1"
and not a "0" ]

# /sbin/ifconfig -n

[ Let's list your interfaces. You may need to be root, depending on
your distro/security (hence the "#" prompt) ]

# /sbin/route -n

[ Now let's look at your routes and make sure they are working ]

# /sbin/ipchains -L -v

[ Now let's look at your IPChains (IP filtering code) rules in your
kernel. If you are running kernel 2.4, you may be using IPTables
instead. Long story. ]

We'll go from there.

> Any Unix network people available to work for money??
> Please contact me offline at the above email address.

I don't think you need to pay for this. It's usually just because
you missed one option or setting.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413