Re: [SLUG] Sizing Partitions

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 22:23:37 EDT

Chuck Hast wrote:
> I am trying to set up a small file server for about 8 people. I have
> one hard disk that is 1G in size, I have a second one that is about
> 3G in size. How would you set up the partitions on them.
> Obviously the OS and such stuff will go on the smaller one, and the
> larger one will be where the user files will reside.
> Can you give me some numbers?

On a server, I _highly_recommend_ separating out the /tmp and /var
filesystems. You don't want things to get nasty if you run out of
inodes (long story short, Linux uses both "blocks" allocation units
and "inodes" 'meta-data' blocks). But your storage is tight, so I'm
not sure.

Secondly, it depends on your RAM. If you have upto 128MB of RAM, I
would do this:

Disk 1:
   swap 256MB
   / 256MB
   /tmp 256MB
   /var 256MB

Disk 2:
   /usr 1024MB
   /home 2048MB

Now you're going to need to be "selective" in your packages, as you
only have a 1GB /usr filesystem. You're also going to need to be
aware of your printing and web server content, as both will use
/var. /var can fill up very quickly on a server, especially a
print/web server. And I highly recommend getting another disk,
especially with 20GB drives for <<$80 these days.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer   AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.   http://www.linux-wlan.org