Re: [SLUG] gateway/router

From: Bill Triplett (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 00:56:18 EDT

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 12:37:44PM -0400, Rusty wrote:
> I guess the time has come to ask for help. I have a pentium box set up
> as a NIX gateway/router. This box has two (2) 3COM 905-B TX 10/100
> Eithernet cards. The first card (xl0) has a static IP. The second card
> (xl1) has a RFC 1918 private address of 192.168.0.1.
>
> The problem is I can't get them to talk to each other. I have set them
> up in accordance with howto's, directions contained in 2 inch thick
> books on networking and incanations to a little voodoo doll I keep for
> special occasions. This voodoo doll was contained in a a special Linux
> toolkit .

Voodoo dolls _always_ work -- they just don't always work the way
we expect (hint: check the fridge.)

The xl part of the card designations look like a *BSD designation. If
it is FreeBSD, check sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding and see if it
is 1 or 0, if it's 0, set it to 1 and try the network again. If
it works, add 'gateway_enable="YES"' to /etc/rc.conf (or change it
from NO to YES... whatever) so it gets set at boot time.

This may work for other BSDs but I've never tried so can't say for sure.

good luck,
Bill