[SLUG] Debian Library Problem

From: Miller, Matt (Matt.Miller@expanets.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 05:23:03 EDT

I've got a Debian 2.2 system down...
After attempting to install the libreadline4 and libreadline4-dev packages
(which partially failed), I now repeatedly receive the following error
message:
/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: /bin/bash: undefined
symbol: history_max_entries
This problem disables my ability to enter any other init level other than
single-user mode. For example: init 3 results in:
/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: /bin/bash: undefined
symbol: history_max_entries
At boot, using any shell, I receive the same error just before the console
login appears. I've tried forcibly removing the packages, but the error
persists.
As it is I had to run an init=/bin/tcsh at lilo in order to even get into
single-user mode. I am unable to login using bash or sh. Ldconfig -v comes
back OK.
I could only find this one reference:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22undefined+symbol%22+%22history_max_entr
ies%22&hl=en&rnum=2&selm=Pine.LNX.4.21.0104101431150.370-100000%40rock.dezev
ensprong.local

Unfortunately, I don't have any backups of this particular system. Has
anyone seen this before?
Matt