Re: [SLUG] Burning CD

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 14:54:47 EDT

SOTL wrote:
> Thanks Glen:
> At the linux meeting last night one of the most qualified people suggested it
> may be the way that I have the burner and HDs connected. Currently there are
> 4 such devuces 2- HD plus 1- CD plus 1- CD R/W. What was suggested was to
> drop one HD or add a seperate controler for the CD R/W as there were
> generally buffer problems with a CD R/W and any other device on the same
> ribbon strip.

I highly recommend only one device per ATA channel, or at least
guarantee only one device will ever be in use at any one time on a
channel. ATA is *NOT* the same as SCSI where you can have two
devices on the same channel talking to each other and the controller
will arbitrate their data exchange without bothering the rest of the
system. No, ATA _always_ sends data off the controller to either
the CPU (Programmed I/O, PIO, mode) or memory (direct memory access,
DMA) and then it comes back to talk to the other device.

With that said, I have tried to use more than one ATAPI burner on a
channel and have failed even burning at 4x on each. But I have
successfully driven two 12x ATAPI burners on different channels
simultaneously under Linux. I have also driven a 24x ATAPI burner
at the same time as (3) 8x SCSI burners, even though the ATAPI
burner was only DMA mode 2 channel (16Mbps, non-Ultra/no-CRC
checking) and the SCSI burners were only on a FastWide channel
(10Mbps).

I also used a 12MB memory buffer for each operation (fs=12m).

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org