[SLUG] Re: RCS "micro-HOWTO" for sysadmins and users -- WAS: Suse question

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 19:22:24 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:
> I've heard of this before. How precisely do you do this?

The "mini HOWTO" is in this post (just after a couple, initial
http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2001-October/015083.html

I then changed the subject name with a little follow-up here:
http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2001-October/015084.html

Essentially, the only thing you need to do is "ci -l file" before
you edit something the first time, and after each edit. That's it!
You probably want to verify there is an RCS subdirectory in the same
directory, so the revision file (which is file,v) goes in there (and
keeps everything nice, clean and separate).

When I need to find out any and all configuration files I have
changed, I just run "find / -depth print |grep RCS" and it spits out
where all my RCS files are. You can even pipe those results into a
tar command, and backup all your modified config files with their
_completely_history_ of changes.

Again, read the "mini HOWTO" for more on how to use RCS. It is very
easy to understand and once you get in the habit of using it (which
only takes setup of 1 system), you'll never want to not use it. All
major distros install it by default.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413