Re: [SLUG] Re: RCS "micro-HOWTO" for sysadmins and users -- WAS: Suse question

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 23:55:14 EDT

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 07:22:24PM -0400, Bryan-TheBS-Smith wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
> > I've heard of this before. How precisely do you do this?
>
> The "mini HOWTO" is in this post (just after a couple, initial
> http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2001-October/015083.html
>
> I then changed the subject name with a little follow-up here:
> http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2001-October/015084.html

Thanks for the links. I know RCS, but have only used CVS in the last few
years.

> Essentially, the only thing you need to do is "ci -l file" before
> you edit something the first time, and after each edit. That's it!
> You probably want to verify there is an RCS subdirectory in the same
> directory, so the revision file (which is file,v) goes in there (and
> keeps everything nice, clean and separate).
>
> When I need to find out any and all configuration files I have
> changed, I just run "find / -depth print |grep RCS" and it spits out
> where all my RCS files are. You can even pipe those results into a
> tar command, and backup all your modified config files with their
> _completely_history_ of changes.

Hmm. I was hoping you had some magic that would prevent RCS files from
being left all over the system. The find and tar components might help,
though. I've never found a good solution to editing the configs of a
pristine system and tracking the changes, even though I usually carry my
old configs around from version/distro upgrade to version/distro
upgrade.

Paul