Re: [SLUG] Re: RCS "micro-HOWTO" for sysadmins and users -- WAS: Suse question

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 09:52:55 EDT

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Hmm. I was hoping you had some magic that would prevent RCS files from
> being left all over the system. The find and tar components might
> help, though. I've never found a good solution to editing the configs
> of a pristine system and tracking the changes, even though I usually
> carry my old configs around from version/distro upgrade to
> version/distro upgrade.

A long time ago I had touched on this in a discussion on CVS itself. What
you can do is to create a CVS project that encapsulates your system
configuration files.

The files in the project should mirror how they are laid out on the
filesystem itself. (Consider the toplevel directory in your checkout
might have a "root" directory under which all the actual files exists.)

The best way to then update your system configuration after an edit is to
create a few Makefile targets/rules to copy the files from your working
copy into place on the system itself (with the correct permissions, etc.).

As you figure on additional configuration files you want to add to your
SystemConfig CVS project, just add them in and edit the Makefile to update
them next time you "make install" (or similar).

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com