[SLUG] Windows Deprogramming: Open Systems Networking (Part I)

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 19:44:23 EDT

Last night at the JAXLUG meeting, I did a little presentation on the
concepts behind Open Systems Networking and some basic
implementations. It was just a simple presentation, largely
conceptual, and far from complete -- definately could have used more
diagrams, better organization and a few "real world" examples.

But most of the concepts introduced might enlighten some who are
having difficulty understanding how UNIX/Open System networking
works. Especially established/experienced Windows server
administrators. I break down the 3 basic services: directory, file
and authentication/authorization. I also have a little info on why
UNIX doesn't act like Windows (as well as Novell) with what I call
MTD ('"Me Too" Discovery') among other things (like what I like to
call the "Haig Syndrome" I experience every now and then with
Windows Networking, even in domains with Samba servers trying to
maintain control).

Anyhoo, you'll find it here:
http://www.smithconcepts.com/files/presentations/WD_Open_Systems_Networking.pdf

Again, I really need to reorganize and add to this when I get time.
Right now I'm concentrating on the C&T Showcase for JAX at the end
of the month. I am doing presentations on Wireless LANs (:45
minutes) and Desktop Linux Applications (two :45 minute sessions).

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org