Re: [SLUG] Burning CD

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 19:56:31 EDT

SOTL wrote:
> How does one determin what the correct device adress is?

   cdrecord -scanbus

If you do not see your device listed (or anything for that matter),
then you have not setup SCSI emulation for IDE. Linux (and actually
NT/2000 in some cases as well) use SCSI emulation for targeting IDE
devices. Long story short, this allows the OS to use SCSI's broad
command set to simplify targeting various vendor's IDE products.

The kernel module for SCSI emulation is "ide-scsi". One caveat to
getting "ide-scsi" to work is to reserve the IDE devices at boot,
because we want to prevent the normal ide/ide-cd drivers from taking
control of the devices, which happens first, before the ide-scsi
module can be loaded.

As such, you must pass "hdX=ide-scsi" (where X = {a,b,c,d,etc...}
for your device) on the LILO command line at boot-time, so the
/dev/hdX is reserved (and not bound to the ide/ide-cd drivers). To
make this change permanent, edit your /etc/lilo.conf and add the
line 'append="hdX=ide-scsi"' (verbatim between the '' quotes).

>From there you'll probably want to "modprobe ide-scsi" sometime
after boot (like in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script on RedHat
systems). Once that is done, your devices can now be address for
reading with /dev/scd0, /dev/scd1, etc... instead of /dev/hdc,
/dev/hdd, etc... If you were using /dev/cdrom, which is setup as a
symlink to your device, be sure to move the symlink to the new,
appropriate SCSI device (e.g., with "cd /dev && rm cdrom && ln -s
scd0 cdrom").

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413