Re: [SLUG] Unexplained HDD Activity Ties up System

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 03:05:40 EDT

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 04:18:19PM -0400, Tim Wright wrote:

> I'm running KDE 2.1.2 on Caldera eDesktop 2.4, and the hardware is an IBM
> 300GL with the standard Pentium II and 32M RAM. I've had occasonal problems
> with unexplained HDD activity tying the system up. This occurs when
> browsing the Web with Korqueror.
>
> The LED for the hard drive comes on solid, not the flicker I normally see
> during disk I/O, and I can hear the drive seeking away, very, very busy. The
> GUI gets tied up to the point where it's response to the keyboard and mouse
> is highly delayed (30 - 120 seconds). If I walk away and leave it alone,
> everything returns to normal after 15 minutes to an hour and a half. If I can
> shut down Konqueror normally, or command the modem to hang up, this also
> seems to clear the problem most of the time.
>
> I've had this happen at least once while using Netscape, so I don't think
> it's exclusively a Konqueror problem. This didn't occur when I was running
> Netscape under KDE 1.4. Any ideas?

A guess: Konqueror wants more memory than is available, and thus is
swapping the hell out of your HD. 32M is a bit light for a lot of
programs these days. Also, your desktop type (Enlightenment, KDE, Icewm)
will effect memory usage. Also, if you're using the 2.4 kernel series,
there are known problems with the VM which can cause interminable
swapping. These are being worked on, but even at 2.4.12 are not fixed
yet.

Paul