[SLUG] Unexplained HDD Activity Ties up System

From: Tim Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 16:18:19 EDT

I'm running KDE 2.1.2 on Caldera eDesktop 2.4, and the hardware is an IBM
300GL with the standard Pentium II and 32M RAM. I've had occasonal problems
with unexplained HDD activity tying the system up. This occurs when
browsing the Web with Korqueror.

The LED for the hard drive comes on solid, not the flicker I normally see
during disk I/O, and I can hear the drive seeking away, very, very busy. The
GUI gets tied up to the point where it's response to the keyboard and mouse
is highly delayed (30 - 120 seconds). If I walk away and leave it alone,
everything returns to normal after 15 minutes to an hour and a half. If I can
shut down Konqueror normally, or command the modem to hang up, this also
seems to clear the problem most of the time.

I've had this happen at least once while using Netscape, so I don't think
it's exclusively a Konqueror problem. This didn't occur when I was running
Netscape under KDE 1.4. Any ideas?