[SLUG] Net Hardware questions

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 16:49:52 EDT

Hello everyone!

I've got a great puzzle for you: I'm getting my "zoo" finally put together
(this is new tech lingo for me, and if it is for you, then a zoo is simply a
small network of computers in your home...I've got 5, for instance) connected
via a 3com Superstack II PS Hub 40 ethernet hub (I got the hub on the cheap
from work).

My problem at the moment is my P133. It's got a 3com etherlink III PCI
ethernet card, which I know there's kernel drivers for, but for some reason
Debian recognizes this card as "ipddp0" rather than "eth0". Why is that?

It also says that the "Link encap" is "UNSPEC". What does this mean? That I
don't have the proper modules in place to recognize the card?

I'm lost about this, really. I'm looking for information on where eth0 and/or
ipddp0 live. I checked a few places, especially ones mentioned in this list
by Brian The-BS Smith (back in late september), but saw nothing like I
wanted. I even checked my main working system and there's nothing like I want
to find there, either. In fact, I moved this card from the P133 to my
PowerMac, and Linux recognized it just fine. I'm running Debian on all of my
systems, which is part of why I'm puzzled. (The Mac OS didn't, interestingly
enough) It seems that my PowerMac "knew" to give the second ethernet card the
ID of eth1. Or at least, it didn't complain when I did. But the P133 didn't...

Thanks for the help!

Russell H