Re: [SLUG] Burned ROMs not Reading

From: Bpreece (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 22:28:04 EDT

The only other thing you may want to try is to rip or record at a slower
speed
such as if you have a 12 or 16x recorder try 4 or 8x recording. As the
process
of higher speed recordings can sometimes make it harder for your rom to
read.

Also check the next three things.

Does the Cdrom have the most recent Firmware update?
If not try to upgrade that.

Also is your old Cd reader MPC2 compliant?
The reason is alot of older cdrom units can not read
Cdr disk. Also the type of coating on the cd effects this as well
the Dark blue color sometimes does not refract enough light
that the older cdrom units can read. You may want to try TDK silver or Gold
disk. Do not use generic Comp Usa Disk as they have a cheap and not
a decent enough coating. I bought 200 of these at work and only 10 disk were
good.

Sams club has Verbatim 100 blank on a spindle good up to 16x certified
for 34.00 best deal around. If you dont have a membership get a one day
pass.

Also stick with , Verbatim , Sony, TDK , Memorex or Maxell.
My TDK burner will not burn with the PNY or generics worth a crap and
even with burn proof protection on.

Also in the days of those 2x,4x,8x and even some 10x CD-ROM units could
only read disk burned with the same brand of recorders.

I ran into this about 6 years ago.
Most newer CD-ROM units up from the 16x days to present have no problem.
Because most are now MPC2 and higher compliant.

Also be forewarned for anyone wanting that most of the new DVDr's are also
not readable buy
allot of the DVDRom drives and players. Till that is standardized I will
hold off.

I was planning on getting a DVDr because the prices are already around
499.00 to 550.00 and blanks went from 28.00 each to around 7.00 each.

I hope that helps you with the problem.