Re: [SLUG] Burned ROMs not Reading

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 09:03:10 EDT

> Also is your old Cd reader MPC2 compliant?
> The reason is a lot of older cdrom units can not read
> Cdr disk. Also the type of coating on the CD effects this as well
> the Dark blue color sometimes does not refract enough light
> that the older cdrom units can read. You may want to try TDK silver or Gold
> disk. Do not use generic Comp Usa Disk as they have a cheap and not
> a decent enough coating. I bought 200 of these at work and only 10 disk
> were good.

I second this. I bought 50 for half the cost of the next cheapest priced CD.
I should have saved my money.

> Sams club has Verbatim 100 blank on a spindle good up to 16x certified
> for 34.00 best deal around. If you don't have a membership get a one day
> pass.

I believe that you can get this at Waldemar at the same price with out a
membership.

> Also stick with , Verbatim , Sony, TDK , Memorex or Maxell.
> My TDK burner will not burn with the PNY or generic worth a crap and
> even with burn proof protection on.
>
> Also in the days of those 2x,4x,8x and even some 10x CD-ROM units could
> only read disk burned with the same brand of recorders.
>
> I ran into this about 6 years ago.
> Most newer CD-ROM units up from the 16x days to present have no problem.
> Because most are now MPC2 and higher compliant.

Thanks this explains a lot about my burner problem. The burner is obsolete
and need to be upgraded as it is only a 2X burner.

> Also be forewarned for anyone wanting that most of the new DVDr's are also
> not readable buy
> allot of the DVDRom drives and players. Till that is standardized I will
> hold off.
>
> I was planning on getting a DVDr because the prices are already around
> 499.00 to 550.00 and blanks went from 28.00 each to around 7.00 each.
>
> I hope that helps you with the problem.

Thanks for the Information.

Frank