Re: [SLUG] First of a Dozen Questions - Follow-up

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 06:50:20 EDT

Bob Stia wrote:

> Hello Sluggers,
>
> in both systems for several days now. As long as I only boot
> windoze the time will remain accurate.

I'm guessing it's windows causing your problem. Well OK maybe it's not but I
like blaming it for everything :)
All kidding aside.

> As soon as I boot 7.1
> the time changes. Now get this, the system time will be set
> back 4 hours, but, hwclock can be some other weird time that
> may or may not coincide with the system time. Whatever time
> it sets itself to is changed in the bios and from that time on
> it will be the time set for windoze also.
>

> suse 7:55 11:55 - 4 hrs.

This -4 hours id kinda suspect to me. As it almost looks like the time
difference between here and GMT, though I think it's really -5 hours. I guess
the -4 could be a daylight savings time thing.

> The problem appears to be with hwclock. It can be set and then system
> time set to it. Upon reboot it will knock the system clock back by exactly
> 4 hours,

I don't know know about suse, but RedHat gives you the ability to use the bios
system clock set at local time or UTC. Since I always select the use local
time I don't see this problem. So I'm guessing that suse is thinking the UTC
is being used for the system clock, but I don't know why it is being changed.

You may want to check http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/sag/x2466.html "The Linux
System Administrators' Guide: Version 0.6.2" The hardware and software clocks

This was taken from the above url:
Unfortunately, some PC operating systems, including MS-DOS, Windows, and OS/2,
assume the hardware
clock shows local time. Linux can handle either, but if the hardware clock
shows local time, then it must be modified
when daylight savings time begins or ends (otherwise it wouldn't show local
time).

Hope this helps
Mike M